Calendar

Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa Su
28 29 30 31 1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 1

Searching

extended searching ...

Current weather

Weather today:

24. 9. 2017

zatazenosde

Day temperatures 12/16°C, around 1000m 5°C.
Night temperatures /°C.

Content

KOPAL’S MEMORIAL

KOPAL’S MEMORIAL

- Commemorating the victory of the Emperor’s troops in Italy -
Komenského náměstí (Comenius Square) as we can admire it today is the result of a very sensitive approach of city planners of the 19th century. In the Middle Ages it was a glacis in front of the city’s Eastern Gate (or Middle Gate). In 1802 the old gate was demolished, nearby ramparts were levelled and city moats were filled in. This new public square became a natural junction between the old city and the new one, between the Upper Alley and the Lower Alley of the newly constituted City Park, which had just been planted. In 1853 the City Council had an elegant obelisk of white stone built in the middle of the square to commemorate the victory of the Emperor’s troops in the Austro-Sardinian War of 1848-1849 in Lombardy. The memorial and the whole square were named after Colonel Karel Kopal, born in 1788 in Ctidružice (Schidrowitz) near Znojmo, who had much share in success of the Austrian army in Italy (in May 1848 he beat the Sardinians at the Battle of Santa Lucia near Verona, and one month later he heroically died at the battlefield near Vicenza). The top of Kopal’s Obelisk is adorned with a marble ball and the statue of Niké, the Greek goddess of victory, by Anton Fernkorn. The statue was founded from the Sardinian cannons captured at Italian battlefields. After 1918 the square got a new name – after Comenius, a Czech humanistic philosopher and educationist.

- Commemorating the victory of the Emperor’s troops in Italy -

Komenského náměstí (Comenius Square) as we can admire it today is the result of a very sensitive approach of city planners of the 19th century. In the Middle Ages it was a glacis in front of the city’s Eastern Gate (or Middle Gate). In 1802 the old gate was demolished, nearby ramparts were levelled and city moats were filled in. This new public square became a natural junction between the old city and the new one, between the Upper Alley and the Lower Alley of the newly constituted City Park, which had just been planted. In 1853 the City Council had an elegant obelisk of white stone built in the middle of the square to commemorate the victory of the Emperor’s troops in the Austro-Sardinian War of 1848-1849 in Lombardy. The memorial and the whole square were named after Colonel Karel Kopal, born in 1788 in Ctidružice (Schidrowitz) near Znojmo, who had much share in success of the Austrian army in Italy (in May 1848 he beat the Sardinians at the Battle of Santa Lucia near Verona, and one month later he heroically died at the battlefield near Vicenza). The top of Kopal’s Obelisk is adorned with a marble ball and the statue of Niké, the Greek goddess of victory, by Anton Fernkorn. The statue was founded from the Sardinian cannons captured at Italian battlefields. After 1918 the square got a new name – after Comenius, a Czech humanistic philosopher and educationist.


Infocentrum Evropská unie Kudy z nudy Vranovsko
Jihomoravský kraj Znojmo ROP Jihovýchod Vinařský fond Všeobecná zdravotní pojišťovna Regionální noviny Znojemsko 5 + 2 Znojemský týden Znojemské listy Znojmo žije