St John the Baptist’s Church and the Capuchin Monastery
• 7. St John the Baptist’s Church and the Capuchin Monastery
- A witness of the retribution following the Battle of White Mountain –
In June 1628, down on Masaryk Square, in the place of a few demolished burgher houses, a new Capuchin monastery with the Church of St John the Baptist was founded under the surveillance of Roman Emperor Ferdinand II himself. At that time the Moravian Margravial Diet had been summoned to Znojmo where the Emperor, the winner over the Bohemian revolt at the Battle of White Mountain (1620), made the Moravian Estates to give their consent to the Reinstated Constitution, which remained in force for another three hundred years. The church interior shows the typical Capuchin notion of simplicity and poverty. In 1754 a new chapel depicting the Mount Olivet scene was built in the wall separating the monastery from the town square. The Capuchins dwelt in the monastery until the Communists expelled them in 1950.