Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa Su
30 31 1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31 1 2


extended searching ...

Current weather

Weather today:

20. 1. 2020


Day temperatures 0/4°C, around 1000m -7°C.
Night temperatures /°C.




- Where cattle used to be driven down to the river -

Water supply used to be a serious problem in Znojmo until the 19th century. To dig deeper wells in the cellars of burgher houses was not possible because the rock on which Znojmo stands is too hard and massive. The handicap was partially overcome by making use of water directly from the Dyje River below Znojmo. The very steep road which connected medieval Znojmo with the riverbank was called “Napajedla” – “Tränkberg”, which means Watering Hill. This is where cattle used to be driven down to the river to be watered and where waggoners used to deliver water from the river to workshops up in the city. In the place where the road leaves the medieval city, the Watering Hill Gate had stood before it was demolished in around 1840. There is a fantastic view of the valley from this spot. Nearby, on the right-hand side, we can see a Baroque column with Jesus Christ’s Head. If we keep going down the road, on the right we shall see the entrance to the Paradise Garden and further down an Empire chapel with a Baroque statue of Pieta. The chapel was built in 1831 by master tanner Bauer. Our descend down the Watering Hill ends by the Classicist chapel with the statue of Saint John of Nepomuk, not far from the bridge over the river.   


Infocentrum Evropská unie Kudy z nudy Vranovsko
Jihomoravský kraj Znojmo ROP Jihovýchod Vinařský fond Všeobecná zdravotní pojišťovna Regionální noviny Znojemsko 5 + 2 Znojemský týden Znojemské listy Znojmo žije